Tuesday, December 4, 2012

The Holiday Siege: Strategies to Stay Focused on My Weight Loss Goals



Firstly, I apologize for my lack of weight loss posts. I have been so focused on my NY Foodgasm Brand I completely forgot to give all of you an update. As you know Thanksgiving and my very own holiday Friendsgiving just happened recently. I went up .4 after Thanksgiving week but went down 1.4 pounds this week! Woooo Hooo! I am now 198.4 pounds, my lowest weight since high school! Why? I tracked the hell outta that bitch! I made sure I tracked everything I ate this week and I kicked butt! Tracking is KEY! While I am enjoying this success I know there is something scary lurking around the corner.... the holiday season.

Ahhh yes the holidays, such a lovely time for everyone except, of course, if you're a Weight Watcher! LOL! What is a girl to do? Well I got some hints I have learned from Weight Watchers and over the years.

1- Give yourself a goal. 

I am talking about a realistic goal, not "I want to lose 15 pounds by Christmas". Seriously what are the odds of that happening?! Your goal could be to go up a max of 1 pound or even to stay the same weight. My goal is to lose 2 pounds by January 1st, 2013. Totally do-able!

2- Plan and Strategize for upcoming events

Yes, just like a general planning the attack on Normandy you need to have strategy to fight and win on the holidays! Think of the coming weeks, look at your calendar and all the parties. You may even shuffle plans, if possible, to ensure not having too many high calorie hits that week. If you have a couple parties you will attend in one week think about which one will have the best food, maybe you wanna save your extra calories or points for that one? For example, I have my company holiday party next Friday and a holiday dinner at an amazing restaurant the next night. So I have already decided I will eat a salad for lunch and a modest plate of food at the company holiday party. I will also save room to have a couple drinks and dance for a looong while to burn off some of the alcohol. I am saving the majority of my extra calories or points for Saturday night- I will eat and enjoy every bite of that gourmet food!!!

3- Know your weakness and plan for it

Ahh yes know thyself...some famous dude said that. Knowing your weakness is priceless. Then you can build a strategy around that. For me I am powerless and have NO self control when I am in arm's reach of food! So I have a couple strategies: pretend I am being helpful and start clearing the table OR walking away and moving my own party away from the food table. One other thing I like to do is to bring a large water bottle with me to remind me of my good health and to keep my mouth occupied.

4- If all else fails exercise

Okay so you had the best of intentions, but you didn't know that food would be that good?! There is always a last ditch attempt at redemption----exercise! Or better yet- plan on messing up a little and plan some extra activity into every holiday event day! Take the dog for a walk, go for a hike, hit the gym....whatever it is just keep moving and burn baby burn! The week of Thanksgiving I went for a long walk Thursday, Friday and Sunday. I also did a lot of cleaning Wednesday. My .4 gain coulda been a 4 pound gain, had I not worked in this extra activity.

Good luck to all of you during the holidays, I will keep you posted on my continued journey: both good and bad!  Lastly ENJOY your holidays! Make sure you eat the food that you just gotta eat and enjoy the company around you, Tis the season!




No comments:

Post a Comment